Search This Blog

Sunday, February 12, 2023

Review: Arcadia

Arcadia Arcadia by Lauren Groff
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Arcadia by Lauren Groff is the type of literary fiction I will turn up for.  She had me at commune.  I'm a big fan of stories of religious groups, communes, utopian societies, things of that ilk.  It is so interesting to see how they structure themselves, what they think will cure the ills of the world.  This story follows the life of "Bit," a boy born at a commune in upstate New York.  Bit is a visual creature, a lover of photography, and the writing, with its vivid descriptions, matches the way he views the world.  Bit's life is in a world similar to our own.  I'm not sure why the pandemic in his mid-life surprised me, but it did.  One might say he goes from utopia to dystopia although I am not sure his world is any more dystopian than ours.  That's kind of just life.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment