Search This Blog

Sunday, July 16, 2023

Review: Good Grief: On Loving Pets, Here and Hereafter

Good Grief: On Loving Pets, Here and Hereafter Good Grief: On Loving Pets, Here and Hereafter by E.B. Bartels
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Having recently lost my oldest cat, Charli, I wasn't sure I was ready to embark on a book about pet grief. Sometimes life throws a book at you when you need it the most. Good Grief: On Loving Pets, Here and Hereafter by E.B. Bartels was that book for me. Did I cry through every page? Yep. Do I regret it? Nope.

Like E.B., I have had a wide array of animal companions and have grieved the loss of every single one. Growing up, I had my unofficial pet cemetery under a beautiful flowering bush in our yard. When my first dog, Penny, died, my dad made her a lovely velvet-lined coffin. This was before you could get your animal's ashes returned to you, so cremation wasn't an option to have her with us. But, I don't just grieve my pets. If it has fur, fins, feathers, or scales and has crossed my path in some way, I will sob upon its passing. E.B. gets that. Animal people are my people. I loved reading the stories of the ways people have honored their beloved companions. I also loved that E.B. explicitly addresses the dilemma of whether or not to get another pet after a loss. It isn't replacing. In many ways, it is honoring their memory.

Whether you have ever grieved a pet or are currently grieving one, you may find solace in knowing you aren't alone and whatever you are feeling or however you want to deal with it is okay. If you are looking for someone who understands you, read this book.

Bonus points for all the animals mentioned in the book and the beautiful illustrations. Their stories were so moving.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment