Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2026

Review: Mystery Play

Mystery Play Mystery Play by Elizabeth Kostova
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Full Disclosure: I received an Advanced Reader's Copy of Mystery Play by Elizabeth Kostova from Ballantine Books via NetGalley.  This book will be published around October 13, 2026.

Mystery Play by Elizabeth Kostova is the sequel to The Historian.  I really loved The Historian, so I was super excited to get a copy of Mystery Play.  You can read this as a standalone.  There are some references to things that happened in The Historian, but it won't affect your ability to enjoy this book if you haven't read that one.  Like The Historian, this book is a bit of a time investment.  There is a lot packed in here covering a giant span of time.  At the same time, it is engrossing, and I found that I wasn't ready to finish it when I did.  I am still thinking about it 10 days later and how I wish there was more.  I am doing my best not to give anything away.  There is a lot of time spent in the theatre, especially on Shakespeare.  There are journal entries for those of us who like a story told in various formats and/or points of view.  There are mysterious deaths and some very cool libraries.  Would it be too much to ask for a third book?

Bonus points for loyal canine companions who deserve our undying commitment.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment