Search This Blog

Sunday, September 29, 2019

Review: Tiny But Mighty: Kitten Lady's Guide to Saving the Most Vulnerable Felines

Tiny But Mighty: Kitten Lady's Guide to Saving the Most Vulnerable Felines Tiny But Mighty: Kitten Lady's Guide to Saving the Most Vulnerable Felines by Hannah Shaw
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Full disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for possibly writing a review.

I heard Hannah Shaw talking about this book on the podcast, Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness, shortly after helping foster some kittens myself. Just from her story, I knew I needed this book in my life. It was serendipity that the publisher selected me to read it because I now get to spread Hannah's message about the importance of fostering and adopting.

Over 800,000 shelter cats are euthanized every year because they weren't adopted. What you might not know is the majority of euthanized shelter animals are kittens under 8 weeks old because shelters don't have the capacity to deal with unweaned animals. If they don't have foster parents lined up to assist, the kittens are often euthanized immediately after surrender. It all comes down to resources, something all shelters struggle with.

Like Hannah, I want to live in a world where no animal has to die because a shelter lacks resources. That's why her book is so important. She talks about the issues surrounding "unadoptable" cats and kittens in a very accessible way and provides practical suggestions that anyone can undertake. Whether you are interested in Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR), fostering, or just wondering what to do with that kitten you found outside on its own, Hannah has all the details. I really appreciated the checklists of what you need and the detailed descriptions of the various stages of kittenhood. You don't need to create a full-blown neonatal kitten unit in your home to foster kittens. Hannah makes the process much less intimidating.

While the book is very comprehensive, there are also true stories of her adventures with kittens and cats and the most adorable pictures. It is very uplifting and inspiring. If you like cats, get this book and think about how you can help create a world where no cat or kitten has to be euthanized.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment