Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Review: The Witches are Coming

The Witches are Coming The Witches are Coming by Lindy West
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Full disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for possibly writing a review.

I first saw Lindy West on Unapologetic with Aisha Tyler. That was enough to convince me to watch Shrill on Hulu. So when I had an opportunity to read her new book, I took it.

I liked her idea to turn witch hunt on its head. Each chapter is really a short essay on a topic with the witch hunt thread woven throughout. While there is humor, this is really more social commentary and there is plenty to not laugh about too. Throughout history, women who did not conform to societal expectations have been labeled and persecuted. Witch is one of those labels. But rather than deny the label, maybe we should embrace it and the power that comes with it.

If you like Shrill, you should read this book. If you liked Dietland, you should read this book. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you may want to do a little research before you buy this book or get it from your library. It isn't for everyone. Some probably will find it offensive. For those that do, just remember....the witches are coming for you.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment