Search This Blog

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Review: Just the Funny Parts: My 30 Years on the Hollywood Jungle Gym

Just the Funny Parts: My 30 Years on the Hollywood Jungle Gym Just the Funny Parts: My 30 Years on the Hollywood Jungle Gym by Nell Scovell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ever wondered if you have what it takes to write for TV?  Love to read about what goes on behind the scenes of your favorite shows?  Is 30 Rock your favorite show?  If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should read this memoir. 

Nell Scovell has written for so many shows, you've probably seen something she's written at least once.  It was not surprising to learn that writers' rooms have a serious diversity problem.  Even the sexual harassment seems par for the course after all the stories that came out from Me Too.  Yet, I appreciate the message Nell is sending.  When you reach a point in your life/career where you're established enough to speak out without fear of the repercussions, you have an obligation to start calling out BS and injustice you see.  Nell has been drawing attention to the discrimination against women and minorities in Hollywood for many years.  She's named names.  She's put her own career on the line to stand up for what is right.  We all could take a lesson from that. 

I will admit I was never really into "lean in."  It is a concept so linked to Sheryl Sandberg, that I didn't know Nell Scovell was a co-author of the book.  Her discussion of how that came to be was quite interesting and made me think I should revisit my own opinions.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment