Search This Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Review: No One Tells You This

No One Tells You This No One Tells You This by Glynnis MacNicol
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book came into my life at the perfect time.  Glynnis MacNicol's memoir is about a 40 (ish) single woman who has moved to New York City and is dealing with her mother's health issues.  Sound familiar?  Could be the story of my life come this fall.  Her descriptions of life in New York and finding apartments confirm everything I've been experiencing as I get ready to move.  I cried when she talks about the issues surrounding her mother because they mirror much of what I have dealt with.  I've wondered many the same things she has about marriage and children and what it means to be a woman if you choose to be alone and enjoy children vicariously through the other people in your life.  Like Glynnis, I am blessed to have friends I can count on no matter where their lives may take them even if I don't want to burden them with my problems because they have busy lives and problems too. 

The story takes quite a turn toward the end.  I won't spoil it, but I think you will be as surprised as I was.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment