Search This Blog

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Review: Outpost: Life on the Frontlines of American Diplomacy: A Memoir

Outpost: Life on the Frontlines of American Diplomacy: A Memoir Outpost: Life on the Frontlines of American Diplomacy: A Memoir by Christopher R. Hill
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I don't read many non-fiction books about my work.  I like fictionalized accounts about the State Department and diplomacy because I enjoy seeing how much they get right or wrong.  It's always funny to read an outsider's impression of your life.  I'll admit that I bought Outpost: Life on the Frontlines of American Diplomacy by Christopher R. Hill because I've met him (around Chapter 16).  Ok, I didn't just meet him.  I spent several days with him while he was on official business in Chengdu, China.  Organizing his visit and going to meetings with him was like being the roadie for a true rock star.  I'm kind of sad he didn't even mention me as I'm sure I had a lasting impact on his life.  Certainly eating Sichuan food so spicy to be deemed "inedible" is as memorable as negotiations with North Korea.  

Chris Hill is an impressive guy with a sense of humor.  Plus, he's nice.  Those are not qualities you find in every senior government official.  Maybe one.  Maybe two.  But all three?  Chris Hill is a unicorn.  His book didn't disappoint me either.  This is not a dry, wonky read.  It's engaging and accessible to the non-diplomat.  You get a real sense of what life is like for those of us on the frontlines and a peek behind the curtain of diplomacy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment