Search This Blog

Sunday, September 25, 2022

Review: My Heart Is a Chainsaw

My Heart Is a Chainsaw My Heart Is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My Heart is a Chainsaw is the first book in the Lake Witch Trilogy by Stephen Graham Jones.  Definitely start reading here.  You'll want to learn all about the Lake Witch's history.  

This is a love letter to horror fans, especially if you like slasher films.  The main character is on the cusp of graduating high school.  Like some of us, she didn't fit in well school for a variety of reasons some of which have to do with being Native American in a predominately white town.  Her comfort zone, her escape, is horror movies.  The main storyline is interspersed with the extra credit papers she wrote for her history teacher explaining components of slasher films.  It's fantastic!  All of the horror references are so much fun, and I can really get behind her theory that Jaws is a slasher film. She makes good points.  All that knowledge comes in handy when she is convinced her town has its very own slasher.  Or, does it?  This book has all the pieces of a great horror movie/novel.  And even though you are given the actual blueprint, you still are wondering what is around every corner.  

Perfect for Halloween!  Get reading!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment