Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2022

Review: My Evil Mother

My Evil Mother My Evil Mother by Margaret Atwood
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My Evil Mother is a short story by Margaret Atwood available through Amazon Original Stories.  You can probably finish it in under an hour.  

I related so hard to this story.  As a teenager, I rebelled against everything my mother stood for, the maternal ideal.  She gave up being a hairdresser to raise children and keep a home. I rejected her attempts to domesticate me.  That's how I saw it anyway.  My mom also had a witchy side. Her magic was food.  She also loved horror enough to be just a tad scary.  You have to watch out for the sweet-looking grandma types.  It wasn't until I was much older that I learned to appreciate the lessons she had tried to teach me.  I still wish I had learned her recipe for 9 day pickles, those little emerald jewels.  A pickle I have never seen truly replicated.  That recipe died with her.  Reading this reminds me that it might be an inevitable cycle of life.  We are all destined to think our parents are wrong until we are old enough to realize they might just be right.         

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment