Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2022

Review: Until the Last of Me

Until the Last of Me Until the Last of Me by Sylvain Neuvel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Until the Last of Me is the second book in the Take Them to the Stars trilogy by Sylvain Neuvel.  You could read this as a standalone, but I would recommend you didn't.  You will definitely want to read them in order because this book does reference events and build on ideas from the first book.  

I was surprised that this book introduces the other side of the story.  In the first book, we mostly saw the story from the point of view of the Kibsu.  Now we start to see more of the Trackers.  It's disturbing.  They make me more than uneasy.  The thing is, while in this world, the Trackers are not regular humans, they read too much like men I've known.  They are predators.  If you've ever been stalked, you will know the feeling I mean.  If that is something that triggers you, you may want to proceed with caution.  But for me, good writing evokes deep feelings, good and bad.  I feel the urgency, the need to run or fight for my life.  I just wish I could kick ass like the Kibsu too.  

While this is an alternate history of the space race, it is about the reality of the suppression of the contributions women in history.  I enjoy that Neuvel incorporates the stories of real historic women in between the chapters as previous Kibsu.  Even if the names are changed, you might recognize them.  If you don't, you will want to read up on them afterward.  Inspiring!  

Bonus points for having chapter titles that correspond to a music playlist.  Love that!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment