Search This Blog

Sunday, August 6, 2023

Review: Running Up That Hill: 50 Visions of Kate Bush

Running Up That Hill: 50 Visions of Kate Bush Running Up That Hill: 50 Visions of Kate Bush by Tom Doyle
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Full Disclosure: I received an Advanced Reader's Copy of Running Up That Hill: 50 Visions of Kate Bush by Tom Doyle from Rowman & Littlefield Publishers via NetGalley.

Running Up That Hill: 50 Visions of Kate Bush by Tom Doyle is the biography that Kate Bush fans should be reading.  I have long been a fan of Kate Bush.  I remember the first time hearing her.  I was in college.  The song was Love and Anger. I am thrilled that Stranger Things introduced a whole new generation to Kate Bush.  Media has not always been kind to Kate Bush because of her propensity to avoid the spotlight and not seek fame the way many other artists do.  She takes a long time to release new music.  She doesn't tour or promote her music like others.  This book is split up into 50 segments focused on songs or periods in her life that give you a really in-depth idea of what was going on or how the song came to be.  I learned that Kate is a serious perfectionist.  That's really why the delay between albums, not a lack of inspiration.  I also loved learning about her fusing of theatre and music, the way she develops her videos or live performances.  Actually, everything about her process is fascinating.  And to think it started when she was just a girl is even more incredible.  She has also helped pave the way for artists to maintain creative control over their work in an industry that doesn't really support such a thing.  She's pretty amazing.  Now, excuse me while I go listen to her entire catalog of songs again.     

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment