Search This Blog

Sunday, June 23, 2024

Review: I Was a Teenage Slasher

I Was a Teenage Slasher I Was a Teenage Slasher by Stephen Graham Jones
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Full Disclosure: I received an Advanced Reader's Copy of I Was a Teenage Slasher by Stephen Graham Jones from Saga Press via NetGalley.

I Was a Teenage Slasher by Stephen Graham Jones is yet another amazing foray into slasher movies from the perspective of someone living in one.  Tolly Driver is just a teenage boy trying to graduate from high school in west Texas when he unexpectedly finds himself living by the rules of a slasher movie except he is the slasher.  That's not really a spoiler.  It is right there in the title.  The book is him telling his story.  He didn't want to be a slasher.  He didn't even watch horror movies!  Fortunately, his best friend did.  She's a smart cookie and picks up on the signs right away.  The only problem is those movies never tell you how to stop someone from becoming a slasher.  They try their best though.  It is odd to find a book with a lot of violence heartwarming but I'm going to use that word.  I really felt for Tolly and his predicament.  And everyone needs a best friend like Amber.  Lots of nostalgia for growing up in the 80s as well.  Good stuff!

Finally, if you have a peanut allergy, don't accept a soda from anyone in the south apparently.  I didn't even know that was a thing. 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment