Search This Blog

Friday, February 7, 2020

Review: Unspeakable Things

Unspeakable Things Unspeakable Things by Jess Lourey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Full disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for possibly writing a review.

While it is true that I got it from NetGalley, I also chose it from Amazon First Reads. I guess I was really meant to read this book. What drew me to it was that it takes place in Minnesota in the 80s, a time and place I can relate to. Plus, the premise sounded very similar to the Jacob Wetterling story. If you are into true crime, you probably have heard of it.

The main character is a young girl growing up in an area where boys from her town are being attacked. At the same time, she is dealing with issues at home. This book is going to make you feel uncomfortable, much the same way she is uncomfortable. You feel like something bad can happen at any moment. And because you only know what she knows, you will jump to many of the same conclusions she does. I appreciated the inclusions of her handwritten letters to her aunt and the stories she devises to keep away bad things. It makes it feel almost like you are reading a diary.

Because of the disturbing subject matter, this book isn't going to be for everyone. If you like some serious suspense, give this book a go. It will keep you on the edge of your seat.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment