Search This Blog

Sunday, November 8, 2020

Review: The City We Became

The City We Became The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The City We Became is the first book in the Great Cities trilogy by N.K. Jemisin.  Since this book sets up everything, you will want to start here.  Since I don't think any other book in the trilogy has been released yet, you have to start here.

This is the first book I've read by N.K. Jemisin who is a much lauded author.  I was a bit surprised to find I had difficulty getting into the book.  If I weren't living in NYC right now, I probably would have added it to my "did not finish" pile and moved on.  However, I did find the descriptions of the city and its inhabitants interesting.  And, I couldn't help going "I've been there!"  For that I stuck with it.  The writing is very good.  I just wasn't as invested in some of the characters as I felt I needed to be to really enjoy the story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment