Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Review: The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick

The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick by Mallory O'Meara
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am a regular listener of the Reading Glasses podcast co-hosted by Mallory O'Meara, so I have heard a lot about her book, The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick.  This isn't your typical biography.  I felt like I was sitting with Mallory as she tells me the story of why and how this book came to be as well as what she learned.  This book isn't just about Milicent.  It is also about Mallory and her own journey in life and in Hollywood.  I admire her dogged determination to tell Milicent's story given how little information is available about her.  It feels important to set the record straight and give women the credit they were often (and sometimes still are) denied.  Bud Westmore sounded like a real peach.  I only knew about the Westmores because of the Syfy show, Face Off.  Learning they had the monopoly on Hollywood make-up and quite a bit of family drama was very interesting.  I'll never be able to watch that show the same way again!  At that same time, I appreciate that Mallory included Milicent's flaws as well.  It is hard to derive inspiration from someone who is perfect.   

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment