Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Review: On Cats

On Cats On Cats by Charles Bukowski
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had never read Charles Bukowski before, but I had heard much about him.  His writing never really sounded like my thing.  Then, I learned he loved cats.  Well sir, that's how you get me to read your writing.  On Cats by Charles Bukowski is a compilation of his writing on cats pulled from various sources and pieces.  It's raw, gritty, disjointed, repetitive, sometimes disturbing, sometimes sad, and a celebration of its subject matter.  There is something so unexpected and moving about Bukowski's cat poetry.  Are tough guys supposed to be touched on such a deep level by a mere animal?  It gives me hope.  

Bonus points for the pictures of his cats sprinkled throughout.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment