Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2021

Review: Confessions of a Pagan Nun

Confessions of a Pagan Nun Confessions of a Pagan Nun by Kate Horsley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

March seemed a fitting month to read a book about Ireland after watching Wild Mountain Thyme and The Secret of Roan Innish.  So, I finally read Confessions of a Pagan Nun by Kate Horsley.  My friend, Teresa, recommended this book to me ages ago.  So long ago, I forgot why she told me to read it.  But I bought it then, and it has been waiting on my Kindle for the perfect moment.  The writings of a pagan Irish Catholic nun seemed the perfect counter to St. Patrick's Day.  

Let me focus on one important point.  I didn't really pay attention to it when I started reading, but the full title of this book is Confessions of a Pagan Nun: A Novel.  A Novel.  As I was reading, I couldn't shake the feeling that this was nonfiction.  I couldn't shake the feeling so much so that I had to look it up.  Goodreads said it was fiction.  Surely, that was wrong.  Historical fiction. Ok maybe more specific but still wrong.  Nope, the Internet swears this book is fiction, historical fiction.  Still, it reads as true.  I talked to Teresa about this after finishing.  She had a similar experience.  Let me know if you did too.  For science...

It's not a very long book, but it feels weighty, important.  In a short span, we cover topics like the conversions of pagans to Christianity and the evolution of patriarchy in a society.  Coincidence that those happen at the same time?   This is a beautiful book but not a happy one.  Life is suffering, and this illustrates that well.  At the same time, it leaves you with just a glimmer of hope.  If you remain true to yourself, maybe, just maybe, it is worth it.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment