Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2021

Review: Hex

Hex Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was in the mood for something creepy and/or spooky, and the English version of Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt really hit the spot.  The Dutch version is different from the English version and has a different ending.  That I happen to be planning a trip through the area where the English book is set is just a coincidence, right?  If you read all the way beyond the end, the author will even give you directions to find the "town."  Maybe I will.

Reading this reminded me of The Lottery by Shirley Jackson.  A town is, or thinks it is, cursed by a witch.  That mindset leads the citizens to engage in all sorts of behaviors to protect themselves and their town.  Is the witch really evil?  I will leave it up to you to decide.  Whether she is or not, she's definitely a creeper.  This is one of those stories where you never know what might be lurking in the dark or around the corner.  Could be nothing or could be your worst nightmare.  If you like those videos that have you look at a benign scene and then something horrifying pops out at you and makes you jump, I recommend this book to you.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment