Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2021

Review: The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and Half a Billion Honey Bees Help Feed America

The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and Half a Billion Honey Bees Help Feed America The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and Half a Billion Honey Bees Help Feed America by Hannah Nordhaus
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and Half a Billion Honey Bees Help Feed America by Hannah Nordhaus is a really interesting read for anyone who loves bees.  Note, I said interesting and not uplifting.  It's pretty damn sad.  I have really complex feelings about such large-scale beekeeping even though I know it is essential to our food supply.  It is heartening to know that some of those beekeepers love their bees and do everything possible to make sure they have a good life.  

I learned more than I ever would want to know about the almond industry.  Probably more than I ever would want to know about agriculture in general.  The main takeaway is beekeeping is a passion project.  You aren't going to get rich.  It's incredibly hard work.  And, the almond farmers are going to steal all the glory.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment