Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2021

Review: Tomboyland: Essays

Tomboyland: Essays Tomboyland: Essays by Melissa Faliveno
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Tomboyland is a collection of essays on diverse topics by Melissa Faliveno.  What drew me to this book was the similarities between the author and me.  They grew up not far from where I call home in Wisconsin.  Small town, somewhat rural upbringing.  We both live in NYC now (or at least I think they do).  Neither of us wants to have children, but we like animals.  We don't fit the molds society tries to put us in.  They hooked me with the first essay on tornadoes.  I've never read a more fitting description of what it was like to grow up in Tornado Alley.  

Identity is a recurring theme in the essays.  Not just gender and sexual identity, but also geographical, political, and familial identity.  What does that all mean, if anything? What happens when they start to intersect?  What if they conflict?  These essays can appeal to a diverse audience.  But if nothing else, read it for the essay on tornadoes.          

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment