Search This Blog

Sunday, November 21, 2021

Review: The Eight

The Eight The Eight by Katherine Neville
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I don't play chess, so I was surprised a bit at how engrossing I found The Eight by Katherine Neville.  You don't have to be a chess player or a fan of The Queen's Gambit show to appreciate the strategy involved in the game and that is carried over into the narrative of this book.  It's a rather epic story following two women through different historical periods as they become immersed in The Game.  While it is quite long, I found the pace of the book to be rather fast with quite a bit of action and suspense.  You are trying to unravel the mysteries right along with the characters.  You do have to suspend a certain amount of disbelief, this is fiction after all, isn't it?  

Bonus points for giving Carioca a rather substantial role for a tiny dog.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment