Search This Blog

Sunday, November 12, 2023

Review: Experimental Film

Experimental Film Experimental Film by Gemma Files
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It was serendipitous and a bit creepy to read Experimental Film by Gemma Files right after finishing The Hearing Trumpet by Leonora Carrington.  Files references Carrington and other Surrealists when talking about experimental films.  While it makes sense, I wasn't thinking Surrealism when I picked up this book, so the connection was a surprise.  I love a good mystery, and I can appreciate falling down a research rabbit hole.  Lois formerly teaching at a diploma mill was genius.  Who ever fesses up to that?  But also, just because someone goes to one, doesn't mean they don't have talent.  For some people, it may be the only option.  I enjoyed the ghostly mystery and all-around spookiness.

Bonus points for realistically depicting the highs and lows of raising a child on the spectrum.  Every experience may be different, but Clark has a lot in common with my brother.  Seeing even a fictional someone deal with all the emotions, self-doubt, and sometimes guilt, reminds us we aren't the only ones feeling a certain way.   


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment