Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Review: The Girls

The Girls The Girls by Emma Cline
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It took me a minute to get into The Girls by Emma Cline, but once I did, I could hardly put it down.  It is beautifully written.  The descriptions are rich to the point I felt I could smell them.  The main character, Evie, was not someone I really liked in the beginning although, as her story evolved, I began to have more sympathy and empathy for her.  I had to remind myself she's really just a kid and that's why she does the things she does.  She wants to be loved and accepted.  She wants to belong.  She's rebelling against her parents.  You can see why she gets drawn into this group that is essentially a commune.  It isn't until much later that she realizes her error.  If you've ever read Helter Skelter, anything about Charles Manson or pretty much any cult, you will see the eerie similarities.  This could easily be the story of any of the young people that get caught up in the whirlwind of a crazy, charismatic personality.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment