Search This Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2022

Review: Brat: An '80s Story

Brat: An '80s Story Brat: An '80s Story by Andrew McCarthy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I listened to the audiobook version of Brat: An '80s Story written and read by Andrew McCarthy because, let's be honest, I had a huge crush on him in his heyday and wanted to hear his voice again.  Consider that also a disclaimer that this might not be an unbiased review.  While Brat is mostly focused on his years in front of the camera, there is a bit about his childhood and some references to his more recent work.  If you are looking for his whole life story though, this isn't it.  

It's funny he chose to call this book Brat.  In my memory, he was Brat Pack adjacent but never a true member of the pack.  He even addresses that in the book.  My memory isn't so bad.  But the thing that drew most young women to him, the sensitive poet type, is exactly the thing that probably also earned him the reputation of being insular and aloof and kept him out of the "in" crowd.  I remember reading those rumors in teen magazines.  He was supposedly a brat in a different sense.  Hearing him tell his story, there is probably a shred of truth to it but also a host of complicated life events that made him that way.  While I miss seeing him in front of the camera, he seems to have found the place he wants to be, and that's fantastic.  It was a nice trip down memory lane.   

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment