Search This Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2022

Review: The Maze

The Maze The Maze by Nelson DeMille
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Full Disclosure:  I received an Advanced Reader's Copy from Scribner of The Maze, the eighth book in the John Corey series, by Nelson DeMille.  I planned to read it either way.  You could read this book as a standalone but there is much mention of things that happen in previous books.  This felt like a bit of a departure from the previous books simply because it is not about John taking on some Big Bad.  But the bad guys in this are still bad.  It isn't that much of a departure.  It also ties up some loose ends from previous books in case you are wondering about his tangled web of relationships.

These books are not for everyone.  If you like your protagonists to be politically correct, that's not John Corey.  John Corey is a former NYPD officer and talks like one.  That might be triggering for some people.  John Corey reminds me a lot of my father.  He is rough around the edges, vengeful, full of hubris, and prone to saying offensive things wittingly and unwittingly; but at the same time, he's got a strong sense of duty and justice and is ultimately on the side of good.  He tells terrible jokes that you sometimes will laugh at anyway.  He loves women even his his approach is antiquated.  He's complicated and human, which I think makes him a compelling character even if I don't always like him.
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment