Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2022

Review: Brazen: My Unorthodox Journey from Long Sleeves to Lingerie

Brazen: My Unorthodox Journey from Long Sleeves to Lingerie Brazen: My Unorthodox Journey from Long Sleeves to Lingerie by Julia Haart
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have a hard copy of Brazen: My Unorthodox Journey from Long Sleeves to Lingerie by Julia Haart, but I opted to listen to the audiobook because I wanted to hear Julia tell her own story.  I went to see her do a book launch for this at 92NY and had the opportunity to meet her.  She is just as warm, kind, and generous in person as she appears to be on her show, My Unorthodox Life.  

She has an incredible story, and I really appreciated that she explained so much about Orthodox Judaism that you were also learning things as her story unfolded.  In fact, some of the terms came up in another book I read recently about a Jewish woman in NY, and I knew what they meant!  If you watch My Unorthodox Life, you will definitely want to read this.  You'll recognize the references.  If you don't watch the show but are interested in people and/or religion, I highly recommend this book.  Religion fascinates me, so this was highly interesting for me.

I want to take a moment to highlight my favorite part of the book, fuck appropriateness.  Julia has embraced this philosophy whole-heartedly, and as I have been getting older, I believe more and more that it is the way to go.  Why should you be forced to tamp down an aspect of your personality because society says it doesn't conform to some gender norm?  You can have bare shoulders and still be a good person.  Don't get me going on shoulders.... We can all afford to be a bit more brazen in our lives.  FUCK APPROPRIATENESS!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment