Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2022

Review: The Last Watch

The Last Watch The Last Watch by J.S. Dewes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Last Watch is the first book in The Divide series by J.S. Dewes.  I haven't read the second book yet, but it would seem this is a good place to start because it sets up a lot of background information I would see one needing for a future book.  

I'm relatively new to hard sci-fi and space operas.  Since they aren't a natural choice for me, I need a good hook to get me beyond the cover.  In this case, J.S. Dewes was on a panel I attended.  Hearing Dewes speak about this book and writing in general got me interested in what this book might offer.  While this was definitely more hard sci-fi, it wasn't daunting.  It's an interesting group of fleshed-out characters.  There was a good amount of humor for a book about the impending collapse of the universe.  The only caveat I have is if the trolley car problem gives you nightmares, this might not be the book for you.  You can feel the weight of those types of decisions.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment