Search This Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Review: The Lola Quartet

The Lola Quartet The Lola Quartet by Emily St. John Mandel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Lola Quartet by Emily St. John Mandel turned out to be nothing like I expected.  Admittedly, I try to know as little as possible going into a book.  I mean, I honestly just read this because it was written by Emily.  When you know an author is good, you just have faith in a book.  So, I guess I really didn't know what to expect.  Maybe I thought it would be a bit more sci-fi?  It's not at all.  I'm not complaining.  Instead it has a bit of a noir-ish feel.  Jazz and fedoras.  Little thriller/mystery.  A little bit Missed Connections.  It sort of defies categorization.  I liked the different perspectives.  I liked that I wasn't 100% sure where it was going.  And even though there aren't any really lovable characters, it was compelling.  If you've ever went to a dark and dingy bar to hear a musician or band that nobody else has ever heard of but felt like the music changed your life, read this book. 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment