Search This Blog

Sunday, May 7, 2023

Review: Ava Gardner: The Secret Conversations

Ava Gardner: The Secret Conversations Ava Gardner: The Secret Conversations by Peter Evans
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ava Gardner: The Secret Conversations by Peter Evans and Ava Gardner is not your typical memoir/autobiography.  This is about the making of an autobiography that never happened.  When Peter Evans was approached by Ava Gardner to ghostwrite her autobiography, he started recording and noting their conversations.  That book never came to fruition, but this book is a compilation of many of those sessions.  It includes the bits that Ava was nervous about revealing to the world.  It uses her voice and not a sanitized version of her.  I loved watching these Old Hollywood movies with my mom and dad.  I wanted hair like Veronica Lake and a body like Marilyn Monroe.  I thought these women were more beautiful and glamorous than the modern stars.  As I got older, I read their stories.  Wow!  The crap they went through and put up with to make it in the entertainment industry is tragic.  I loved Ava Gardner's feistiness.  It shines through in these conversations.  At the same time, Ava was a product of her time and expresses views that may make some readers uncomfortable.  Don't expect political correctness even though Ava was considerably more liberal than some of her romantic partners.    

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment