Search This Blog

Thursday, May 25, 2023

Review: The Wall

The Wall The Wall by Marlen Haushofer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Wall is the English translation of the novella, Die Wand, by Marlen Haushofer.  I first heard about The Wall at WisCon 45 in a panel on early feminist science fiction.  The cow on the cover and the fact that Haushofer is Austrian sold me on giving it a try.  You don't have to be a science fiction fan to enjoy this.  The science fiction aspect is pretty minimal.  This is mostly a survival story.  The story is written as a report of how the main character (she'll tell you her name doesn't matter) survived to the day of writing after being cut off from the rest of the world (or was she?).  She has limited supplies and a handful of animals to help her.  What I loved most is how much she loves the animals and is willing to sacrifice for their survival.  I'm sure some people would think that is ludicrous, but if you know me, you know that's exactly what I would do.  There are no real surprises. Marlen tells you throughout that this is not necessarily a happy story.  Even though you are prepared for the worst, you aren't ready for it when it comes.  I cried.  But like with much of life, you have to decide if you will carry on even when the worst is thrown at you.  And if you are like me, and this woman apparently, you carry on because the animals depend on you.  

For people who love animals, Survivor or other survival shows/podcasts/books, Bear Grylls, the outdoors, farming, or any combination of these.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment