Search This Blog

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Review: The Memory of Animals

The Memory of Animals The Memory of Animals by Claire Fuller
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Full Disclosure: I received an Advance Reader's Copy of The Memory of Animals by Claire Fuller from Tin House via NetGalley.

Even though I received an ARC of The Memory of Animals by Claire Fuller, I bought a copy at a recent event where Claire was talking about her writing and did a reading from this.  I'll admit, when she read, some things clicked that I missed when I was reading.   The book is partially told in an epistolary way, which I absolutely love.  The letters to H give us insight into the main character's life prior to the events in the book.  I don't want to spoil anything, but there is a pandemic, and it may feel too soon even though Claire started writing this pre-COVID.   Just when you think this is straight dystopian fiction, there's an element that takes us in a wild direction.   I identified a lot with Neffy and would probably find myself in a similar situation under her circumstances. 

Bonus points for the love of cephalopods!  People really do underestimate how smart they are.  Maybe this book will make some converts.    

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment