Search This Blog

Sunday, June 25, 2023

Review: Women Talking

Women Talking Women Talking by Miriam Toews
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Women Talking by Miriam Toews is based on a true story of a community of Mennonite women.  If you are sensitive to discussions of rape and/or child abuse, you will want to proceed with caution with this book.  The book has been made into a movie.  I haven't seen it yet to be able to make a comparison.  I am glad I read the book though because I love an epistolary novel.  

The book is told through the minutes of meetings the women held to determine how they will respond to the horrific situation in their community.  Because the women can't read or write, they invite the community school teacher to take the minutes.  It is interesting that we can't even hear their stories without it being told through the lens of a man.  And while this is a snapshot of a small, isolated, religious community, it is surprisingly relevant to the issues women are facing around the world and how they react to those issues.  There are still plenty of people who choose "do nothing" when faced with evil.  This book will make you think and maybe cry, but it will also make you laugh.  It might even make you hopeful.  

Bonus points for having a character who loves her horses as much as any family members.  I would also do whatever it took to protect my animal family.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment