Search This Blog

Sunday, February 25, 2024

Review: The Atlas Maneuver

The Atlas Maneuver The Atlas Maneuver by Steve Berry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Full Disclosure:  I received an Advanced Reader's Copy of The Atlas Maneuver by Steve Berry from Grand Central Publishing via NetGalley.

The Atlas Maneuver is the 18th book in the Cotton Malone series by Steve Berry.  You could read it as a standalone but given many of the references to previous books, the overall experience might be better if you know Cotton's whole history.  

It was exciting for me to have Cassiopeia back and not just in a cameo.  While she isn't with Cotton for most of the book, she is featured heavily.  There are also some other characters we've met before.  Cotton is the best kind of friend to have apparently.

As always, there is an historic element here with gold that the Japanese hid in the Philippines during World War II.  I thought we would be going on a treasure hunt but turns out the book is really more about cryptocurrency.  I worked on financial crimes for awhile and have a fondness for bitcoin and its offshoots.  It is one of those things that I understand enough to understand I don't understand it. Or at least, just when I think I understand it, I suddenly feel out of my depth.  Berry does a good job of explaining the basics and the arguments for and against it.  If everyone bought into bitcoin, would it create a utopian world of economic equality?  I'm not sure about that.  I think Berry's premise proves that as long as someone is greedy or power hungry, that world could never exist.  I like to think there are people out there in the world trying to make it better for everyone and maybe they will win one day.   

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment