Search This Blog

Sunday, February 18, 2024

Review: Hokuloa Road

Hokuloa Road Hokuloa Road by Elizabeth Hand
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had my reservations about Hokuloa Road by Elizabeth Hand.  It is a book set in Hawaii written by someone not from there with a white, male protagonist.  I was skeptical about how good it could be, but Elizabeth Hand has never disappointed me before.  I took a leap of faith.  I appreciated the effort to educate the reader about Hawaiian culture and the negative impact of humanity on the delicate island environment.  Having a somewhat clueless main character really helped weave that all in.  Setting it in the pandemic only lent to the feeling of isolation in a remote part of an island.  Then there were the mysterious disappearances.  For a book that is a slow burn, a lot is going on!  

Bonus points for one of the most unique weapon choices I have ever read. Extra points for all the birds. 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment