Search This Blog

Sunday, April 14, 2024

Review: The Hollow Ones

The Hollow Ones The Hollow Ones by Guillermo del Toro
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Hollow Ones is meant to be the first book in the Blackwood Tapes series by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.  I say meant to be because there isn't a second book yet and sometimes a second book never comes to pass, so the series part remains to be seen.  Still, you will want to start here because it lays the groundwork for any future books.  The story is told from a couple of different perspectives and jumps around in time to explain how we get to the somewhat present day situation.  I like the idea that in New York City there is a mysterious mailbox that you could easily miss as you walk by, but that if you do just the right steps, you could summon a paranormal detective like Hugo Blackwood.  I'd drink his tea any day.  While this is probably considered horror, it is really a supernatural thriller.  It moves fast.  I read it in two days.  I didn't even realize I was almost halfway finished when I put it down the first time.  The ending does set up for a second book, but it is not a cliffhanger so you can read this without worrying that you will be left hanging.  


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment