Search This Blog

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Review: Crash Gordon and the Mysteries of Kingsburg

Crash Gordon and the Mysteries of Kingsburg Crash Gordon and the Mysteries of Kingsburg by Derek Swannson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the first book in the Crash Gordon series. It is over 600 pages so quite an investment if you are looking for a new series to read. This book could probably be two books and could appeal to completely different audiences. I find it hard to classify.

The first half of the book is a coming of age story. Gordon is growing up in a dysfunctional family in in the 70s. He is very smart and loves to read. People who were growing up in the 70s may appreciate many of the references. I sure did. A series of unfortunate events lead Gordon to look for answers to why strange things are happening around him. It is not nearly as sad or serious as it sounds.

The second half of the book is a deep dive into conspiracy theories as Gordon tries to figure out what's happening to his family and to him. There's also quite a bit about spirituality and religion. If Masons, Templars, secret societies, fringe groups, and/or Eastern religions interest you, this is a fun read. I think it covers every conspiracy theory I have ever heard, quite an impressive feat. Then when the author starts drawing the lines between them I almost started to believe their might be some truth to them. Maybe there is?

Special props for incorporating Esalen. I went there once or twice in grad school, but now I wish I had spent more time there.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment