Search This Blog

Sunday, June 28, 2020

Review: Station Eleven

Station Eleven Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What's the perfect book to read during a pandemic?  A book about a pandemic that wipes out 99% of the world's population because it spreads and kills so fast you almost can't avoid it.  The Georgia Flu would pwn COVID-19.  What kind of witch is Emily St. John Mandel that she wrote Station Eleven in 2014?  Why do I keep reading books like this right now?????????

Put all of that aside, Station Eleven is a great book.  I had heard it was a great book.  I put off reading it specifically because I kept hearing it was a great book, and most books don't live up to that kind of hype.  Yet, this one did.  More than just a book about the end of the world as we know it, it is a book about the interconnectedness of people.  We follow the stories of a few primary characters as we jump back and forth through time to watch their lives unfold.  Oddly, Station Eleven is not as predominant as the title might make you think.  It is more a thread that links these characters together, sometimes tenuously.  I have my own mental image of what it looks like.  I'm hoping someone will do an artistic rendering someday.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment