Search This Blog

Sunday, June 28, 2020

Review: Weird: The Power of Being an Outsider in an Insider World

Weird: The Power of Being an Outsider in an Insider World Weird: The Power of Being an Outsider in an Insider World by Olga Khazan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Full disclosure:  I received an advance copy of Weird: The Power of Being an Outsider in an Insider World by Olga Khazan from the publisher in exchange for possibly writing a review.

Do you ever feel like an outsider?  Are you the one bucking some trend?  Have you ever used "weird" to describe yourself?  Would "fish out of water" be a good way to describe your life?  If you answered yes, this book was written for/about you.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book because I self-identify as weird.  I'm not ashamed to let my freak flag fly and so, it was entertaining to read the stories of others doing the same.  I think she found an interesting mix of people from various walks of life.  You can probably find at least one of them relatable.

I subscribe to The Atlantic, so I wasn't really surprised that this was so well-written.  I did go back and see how many of Olga Khazan's articles I had read (not really paying attention to who wrote them at the time).  Not surprisingly, I'd read most of them.  Now, I will be looking for articles from her.  

This was also great to read after taking an introduction to social psychology class during the stay-at-home order because it references much of what I learned.  It really helped me further understand many of the concepts.  So even if you aren't really weird, you might like learning more about people who are.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment