Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2021

Review: I Want to Be Where the Normal People Are

I Want to Be Where the Normal People Are I Want to Be Where the Normal People Are by Rachel Bloom
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I listened to I Want to Be Where the Normal People are written and read by Rachel Bloom.  I don't regret that choice because hearing it straight from Rachel with all the emotion and musicality is the way it should be read.  I laughed every time she announced a new chapter with such gusto.  

If you are already a fan of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, the contents of the book are probably not going to shock you.  If you are not familiar with Rachel Bloom's work, you might be a little surprised by the book.  Rachel doesn't sugarcoat her life.  She's had horrible things done to her, and she's done some not-so-nice things herself.  Haven't we all?  The afterword about Adam Schlesinger made me sob.  Have tissues ready when you get there.  I think the main thing I came away with from this book is: if we are all a little bit (or a lot bit) weird, doesn't that make us all normal?  

Bonus points for an awesome throwback cover, a fun musical tie-in title, and the best acknowledgements section I have ever read or heard.  Seriously, you rocked those thanks, Rachel!  

Extra bonus points for a whole chapter told from her dog's perspective.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment