Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2022

Review: Future Tense Fiction: Stories of Tomorrow

Future Tense Fiction: Stories of Tomorrow Future Tense Fiction: Stories of Tomorrow by Kirsten Berg
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Future Tense Fiction: Stories of Tomorrow is a collection of short stories by Carmen Maria Machado, Emily St. John Mandel, Charlie Jane Anders, Nnedi Okorafor, Paolo Bacigalupi, Madeline Ashby, Mark Oshiro, Meg Elison, Maureen F. McHugh, Deji Bryce Olukotun, Hannu Rajaniemi, Annalee Newitz, Lee Konstantinou, and Mark Stasenko.  That's quite a line-up of amazing authors!

The main thread flowing through the stories is how emerging technology is changing our lives.  Sometimes for the good.  Sometimes for the bad.  It is hard to pick a favorite story because they were all so good.  Then again, I like stories with sentient technology or A.I.  I was a little disappointed to learn The Minnesota Diet by Charlie Jane Anders was not about hotdish and Jell-O salad.  Still a great story, you just won't find any tater tots in there.  

Bonus points: Ok, I maybe loved one story just a smidge more than the others.  When Robot and Crow Saved East St. Louis by Annalee Newitz tugged at my heartstrings.  An adorable robot and a crow learn to communicate and have an adventure?  Yes, please!

  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment