Search This Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2022

Review: Stars and Bones

Stars and Bones Stars and Bones by Gareth L. Powell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Full Disclosure: I received an advanced copy of Stars and Bones by Gareth L. Powell from Titan Books via NetGalley.  

I'm not sure what originally drew me to this book.  Maybe it was the idea of a mystery in space.  Maybe it was the description of all the arks with their various environments.  It was probably the promise of a talking cat.  Whatever it was, I am really glad it did.  The story is told through multiple perspectives, including sentient machines, although there is one character I would consider the main.  Eryn is a scout ship navigator trying to figure out who/what killed her sister when things go terribly (an understatement) wrong.  What was really impressive is how quickly you get invested in these characters even though there is a lot of action happening.  You wouldn't think there was enough room for character development, but there is!  While it would be easy to just focus on the action, the story did raise some interesting ethical and moral dilemmas if you like to do a bit of deep thinking.     

Bonus points for space animals that can communicate with people.  Also, Sam is spectacularly catty and realistic.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment