Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2022

Review: Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love

Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love by Jonathan Van Ness
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In Over The Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love by Jonathan Van Ness, JVN questions whether people will still love someone if they know all their deepest, darkest secrets.  The answer is yes, Jonathan.  Anyone who doesn't isn't worth the atoms they are made up of.  Thank you for sharing your story, warts and all.  

Growing up in a smaller town in Illinois than Quincy, I have a sense of what JVN is talking about.  I wasn't queer but I was tomboyish enough to be called a lesbian many times.  I was fat and that led to plenty of terrible things.  I didn't do drugs, but I did have an adopted brother born with HIV.  He died just before his 9th birthday because we hadn't made the medical advances that now make it possible to live a long life with HIV.  I do remember the horrible way people talked about HIV/AIDS, and the way they acted or treated you if they thought you were the one with it.  I am so proud that Jonathan can speak that truth now when we felt we had to keep it a secret to avoid being run out of town.  Keep shining your light.

Bonus points for Bug the first, an unsung hero.  Whether they know it or not, they make our lives so much better.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment