Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2022

Review: Victorians Undone: Tales of the Flesh in the Age of Decorum

Victorians Undone: Tales of the Flesh in the Age of Decorum Victorians Undone: Tales of the Flesh in the Age of Decorum by Kathryn Hughes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Victorians Undone: Tales of the Flesh in the Age of Decorum by Kathryn Hughes is an unconventional take on history.  It is essentially five biographical essays of some rather famous figures focusing on body image and body parts.  Body image, beauty standards, and such change with time and society.  It would never have occurred to me that having one hand bigger than the other might cause people to question my morals.  Nor have I ever put much thought into why philosophers so often seem to have beards.  Yet at certain times and places, these were big deals.  If you like your history fun and with just a hint of salaciousness, give this book a read.   
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment