Search This Blog

Sunday, July 26, 2020

Review: All the Birds in the Sky

All the Birds in the Sky All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you read all the way through to the Acknowledgements of All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders, you will find that she offers to personally come and explain the book to you through interpretive dance if you had trouble understanding it.  Now, I did not have such trouble, but I would like to invite her to come do that anyway.  I think it would be fun, and we could have a good chat about this book.  

Some might call this book science fiction/fantasy, but ultimately it is a love story.  Are science and nature natural enemies, or can they peacefully co-exist?  Better yet, can they join together?  The two main characters, Patricia and Laurence, represent nature and science respectively.  I like to see myself as a Patricia, all witchy and talking to animals.  They've never talked back, but I remain hopeful!  However, at the same time, I see shades of Laurence in me as I type this on my silly expensive gaming laptop that I just had to have.  Ultimately, we don't have to sacrifice the planet for the sake of "progress."  It's an important lesson beautifully written.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment