Search This Blog

Sunday, July 12, 2020

Review: The Test

The Test The Test by Sylvain Neuvel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I listened to The Test written by Sylvain Neuvel and narrated by Neil Shah.  I listened to it in one sitting because it is technically a novella that comes in at about 110 pages or 2 hours and 12 minutes.  If you are like me, you won't be able to stop yourself once you start.  

Maybe I am too much of a nerd.  I actually enjoyed taking the citizenship test along with the main character, Idir, and guessing the answers before they were revealed. Would I pass?  Could I be a UK citizen?  I even was intrigued by the scoring methodology. Peak geek.

Idir is an endearing character.  He embodies all the good in people.  You are rooting so hard for him to pass this test.  Then things take a very dark turn.  How did Mr. Neuvel manage to pack so much social commentary into 110 pages?  How could he crush my soul in 2 hours and 12 minutes?   Why do I feel like this might not be fiction?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment