Search This Blog

Sunday, July 12, 2020

Review: Lincoln in the Bardo

Lincoln in the Bardo Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I listened to Lincoln in the Bardo written by George Saunders and narrated by a long list of famous people including Nick Offerman (which is why I was willing to listen to it in the first place).  Having a full cast read the book made it more like the radio plays of yore.  All of the performances were amazing.  Megan Mullally made me laugh out loud as she always does.  

I was surprised at how much sexual content was in a book about Lincoln, his son, and a bunch of ghosts.  If you are sensitive to that sort of thing, I do not recommend this book to you.  I do recommend this book to fans of Lincoln, those who want to read a complex story of grief and loss,  and/or those interested in the afterlife.  

Because of the way the book is written, interspersed with quotations and journal entries, I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it first.  The citations interrupted the flow of the audio narrative for me.  Something I don't mind reading but made listening a bit harder to follow.  In fact, I love reading books written in a unique style, and George Saunders didn't let me down.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment