Search This Blog

Sunday, July 12, 2020

Review: We Have Always Lived in the Castle

We Have Always Lived in the Castle We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I listened to We Have Always Lived in the Castle written by Shirley Jackson and narrated by Bernadette Dunne.  While this is traditionally categorized as horror, I didn't really find it very scary.  It is very gothic, and the psychological issues are compelling.  I should probably be worried that I find myself relating to Mary Catherine quite a bit.  I get her cat connection, her interest in magic, and even how you sometimes want bad things to happen to your enemies.  And I can't really blame Constance for wanting to hole up in her house and not deal with people.  They are pretty terrible to her and her sister.  I am probably not taking away the right message, but I thought this was the happiest ending I have read in awhile.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment