Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2021

Review: For the Win

For the Win For the Win by Cory Doctorow
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Reading For the Win by Cory Doctorow while Reddit users takes on Wall Street with GameStop stock was a bit surreal.  Both illustrate the power the have nots can wield when they come together against the haves.  I'd say For the Win gave me a better understanding of how and why the GameStop stock situation worked.  If you are a gamer or an economist (or both), this book provides fascinating insight into the lives of gold farmers, virtual economies, and unions.  Yes, I realize that those don't sound like really compelling topics and yet Doctorow explains them in a way that makes them accessible to the layperson AND makes you want to read about them.  As a gamer, I've never really been bothered by gold farmers expect when their spam fills my chat box, or they kill all the mobs/farm all the mats I needed.  I've even joked it seems like an ideal job, get paid to game all day.  People have to earn a living somehow.  It's a shame they have to do so under terrible conditions.  It is about time someone stood up for them.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment