Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2022

Review: Unlikely Animals

Unlikely Animals Unlikely Animals by Annie Hartnett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Full Disclosure:  I received an advanced copy of Unlikely Animals by Annie Hartnett from Ballantine Books via NetGalley.

I had heard about this book on the Nerdette Podcast. Everything about it called to me.  Adult woman returns to small hometown and becomes a substitute teacher.  I've done that.  Even though it is set in New Hampshire, I couldn't stop visualizing it as Wilmington, IL.  On the drive to move back home, she picks up a stray animal and brings it home with every intention of keeping it.  Yep, done that too.  So much love for animals in this book!  Needed that.  There are stories within the story related to the naturalist, Ernest Harold Baynes and his own animal adventures.  Love epistolary story-telling!  And finally, an unconventional narrator....Nailed it!  If you are looking for something a bit quirky with a splash of dark humor but still leaves you feeling uplifted, this is a great choice.  

As an aside, I got real George Saunders vibes from this book which is a compliment from me.  Fox8 is one of my favorite short stories.  

Bonus points for a cute cover and having amazing animal characters!  I would read The Adventures of Rasputin and Moses.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment